Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Spark Zine

-->
Media 384
Women and the Media
Jessica Torres
Final Project

I was inspired to create Spark, a zine targeted at girls from 15-19, because as I sat in this class I kept thinking, "I wish I would have known this stuff when I was younger. I wish I wasn't one of the many girls who felt they had to dumb down to be accepted". I also felt that media that is presented to teens isn't always as open minded as it should be. For instance, on teenvogue.com in the careers section they only have articles about beauty and fashion careers. Don't get me wrong. These fields can be a lot of fun and it is true that young women are interested in them. But they should not be the only options presented. Seventeen.com doesn't have a career section at all. Seeing that lack of content made me want to create this zine. The content appears as general interest to keep the reader engaged, but each story is based on research and has a reason for being in the zine. The zine also has a presence on social media platforms; tumblr and twitter

The Line-Up

Personal Space- This page is based on the research by Kit Grauer on teens and their bedrooms and how the aesthetics of play an important role in creating their identity (Grauer, 2002).

I went there…- I reached out to a Boston University alum to write a profile on the college and her experience there. Classic “I did it!” story format.

Fashion Feature- Based on research on how people use their workplace attire to manage the impressions they make on others and how this leads to positive self-perception (Pulchette, Karl & Rust, 2006). I also used this opportunity to relate different fields with summer jobs that are accessible to them now.

Career Feature- Based on Sheryl Sandberg’s bestselling book Lean-In, I wrote a tip story on how girls can lean in now. This book is about women at work but she makes many mentions to her time in college and as a young girl. I summarized those parts at relate to the reader.

Here is the finished product.

Special Thanks To:
David Cooper- Illustrator
Katie Schmidt- Writer


Sources
Teenagers and Their Bedrooms
Kit Grauer
Visual Arts Research , Vol. 28, No. 2(56), Visual Culture (2002), pp. 86-93
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org.proxy.wexler.hunter.cuny.edu/stable/20716067


Do Clothes Really Make the Woman? The Use of Attire to Enhance Work Performance
Sherry E. Sullivan
The Academy of Management Executive (1993-2005) , Vol. 11, No. 4 (Nov., 1997), pp. 90-91
Published by: Academy of Management
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org.proxy.wexler.hunter.cuny.edu/stable/4165429

Dressing to Impress: Beliefs and Attitudes Regarding Workplace Attire
Joy V. Peluchette, Katherine Karl and Kathleen Rust
Journal of Business and Psychology , Vol. 21, No. 1 (Fall, 2006), pp. 45-63
Published by: Springer

Great Expectations
Judith M. Havemann
The Wilson Quarterly (1976-) , Vol. 31, No. 3 (Summer, 2007), pp. 46-53

Lean In: Women, work and the will to lead
Sheryl Sandberg  & Nell Scovell
2013
Published by: Alfred Knopf

No comments:

Post a Comment