Saturday, April 13, 2013

Amanda Arita's Final Project Proposal



I intend to make a short documentary (roughly 5-7 min.). The subject will be whether parents of different backgrounds feel more or less inclined to impose gender roles onto their children. Also, why have they chosen to raise their children in this particular way? Do parents feel that gender roles make it easier or more difficult for their child to attain “power” later on in life?
I plan to interview about 5 different parental units and some children, as well. I will choose to interview young children (5-8 years old) because they are less jaded by social media and can really only go off of what their parents have taught them, what they see on television, and what their friends enforce in school. I hypothesize that younger children will have less bias and will be more honest about how they feel about their identity as a boy or a girl.
I understand that the subjects that I will choose to interview will only show a small spectrum of the community of parents in the world and that there are different parents in different cultural circumstances that will not share the same beliefs as my subjects. I only want to see how the idea of gender roles comes into play when one is put in the position of a parent; parents mold their child’s life by their lessons and what they deem acceptable, so how do they decide what to teach their children? I want an insight into the thought process of the parents of the next generation of people and the little people, themselves. I want to see if we are moving to being a more socially conscious society, and if we are, where are we headed?

The reason I choose to focus on how gender roles are developed is because I feel that those exact roles are what stifle a lot of people from reaching their potential. I know from personal experience, as I'm sure we all do, that specific roles that are created for you don't really leave you to be able to do much out of your societal "box." Here's to hoping that today's parents encourage their children to be who they feel they should be and that they are open to a change in what they had planned for their children's role in the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment