Sunday, April 7, 2013

Final Project Proposal

        For the final project, I plan to focus of the representation and misrepresentations of Asian women in the media. My goal is to exploit the numerous ways in which Asian American actresses are always playing the same stereotypical roles and therefore reinforcing the idea of Asians as a perpetual foreigner. Although I have not yet decided on the medium of my project, I already have many resources that I would like to include in my project. Most of my resources are readings and films such as Slaying the Dragon:Reloaded (2011), Memoirs of a Geisha (2005), Orientals by Robert G. Lee, and other various scholarly articles. My target audience is media makers. My goal is to make them aware of the same poor portrayals of Asian Americans and possibly disrupt the traditional way in which Asians are portrayed in Western culture. I think the best way to get through to media creators is to make a piece of media myself. I am considering making a video with montages of Asian misrepresentations along with text slides. I plan on discussing traditional roles of Asian women such as Dragon Lady and the submissive sexual deviant. I hope to make media makers and media consumers realize the way in which Asian American women are trapped in the realm of Western culture. 

Memoirs of a Geisha poster art:

Japan
United States

       *Notice the difference in movie titles
       -Why does the Japanese poster art look so authentically more "Asian"?
       - Why does the U.S. poster art make her white in skin color and so similar to Mulan?
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michelle,

    This sounds like a great idea. Another book that may be helpful in you accomplishing this is Amy Tan's "The Joy Luck Club". It is a novel that also perpetuates Asian women stereotypes.

    Good Luck!
    Shaun

    ReplyDelete