Friday, April 12, 2013

Project Proposal

What do you think?

As an aspiring reporter, it is important to me that I deliver the news in the most objective way possible and that I cater to the widest audience spanning different age groups, cultural backgrounds, and economic classes. 

In the amount of time that people spend watching the news every day, whether it be ten minutes or a few hours, I want people to learn something new.
I do not necessarily want to take over the news reporting world with my style (maybe in a few years), but I do want to bring change to the way people view the media today. With social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, people are literally witnessing events as they are happening. It has become much harder to determine which news outlet is going to provide the most accurate information and much easier to simply accept what is fed to us.
I want people to take my news reports and think more creatively and critically, especially about topics that affect our everyday lives.

After much thinking, I have decided to create my very first news show and I will be publishing it on YouTube by the end of the semester. My goal is to publish at least two episodes, each under ten minutes. It is challenging because it is such a short amount of time, but it is also what I believe to be the most effective way to communicate the news today when everyone is preoccupied with a million other things in their day.

I have not yet decided on the topics for my episodes, but my idea is to essentially combine the style of popular YouTube channels like Feminist Frequency and Joe Santagato with the hard-hitting facts of my news reports.

What I would like feedback on is any topics of interest you feel I should address. It can be anything from increased subway fare to animal cruelty at local zoos. Anything! The hardest part for me is literally brainstorming ideas. I would also like feedback on what you feel may be the best way to layout my news show in order to cater to wide audiences (i.e. should it be flashy, no effects, guest stars, etc.)
Because this reaches millions of viewers… 
And I want to combine it with this…

To create… this.

1 comment:

  1. First off: GIFs are the BEST and I hope you do create a dedicated, jonahhillfreakingout-esque following. In reading your proposal, I think of The Daily Show & Colbert Report - you might really have to hone your ability to OBJECTIVELY offer news stories if this is the type of media you're getting at. It seems like you're going for an accessible news source vs a regurgitation of headlines; your on air PERSONALITY I think will play a big role in this, so go ahead and focus on your style - it'll make it unique and will gain you a dedicated following.
    As for topics, gun control and rape culture would be interesting to cover, as well as economy - particularly the issue of post-graduation careers, which affects nearly all of our peers now.

    ReplyDelete