Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Project Proposal

For my final project, I have decided to write about riot grrrl and the movement that followed.  The riot grrrl movement is the feminist punk rock movement that was very active during the 1990’s, but has slowly declined at the turn of the new millenium.  But the movement wasn’t just pigeonholed into just a music genre, it was something much more than that.  It is a culture which included art, political activism, and zines.  Bands such as Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, and Sleater-Kinney were the main driving forces behind the genre.  The riot grrrl movement gave women the space and tools to make music and statements about issues with society.




    Since the turn of the century, the genre and the movement that it fueled have lost steam and has been quiet.  Bikini Kill and Sleater-Kinney, two very important groups of the movement, have broken-up and support behind the genre declined.  The mainstream media during the late 90’s had misinterpreted the message that members of the movement were perpetuating and saw the rise in girl groups like the Spice Girls.  


    For my final project, I will be writing about the genre, re-introducing it to the masses through my blog, “Revolting Sounds”. The post would be in depth, covering the early beginnings of the genre, influences, activity during the movement, decline, and riot grrrl related activities in recent times.  The post would also include media such as links, video, and playlists.

    The final project will be the first of a new regular series on my blog (in a section whose name is TBD) where I will choose a genre or artist/group and write an extensive post to give a quick primer to my readers, as well as insight on the subject of the post.


On Revolting Sounds, I write about and introduce bands/artists that catch my ear and they do not get the recognition that they deserve.  Music sites such as Pitchfork and Stereogum have changed over the years.  They based their sites on exposing independent music, but of late, have mostly been focusing mostly on established independent acts.  With Revolting Sounds, I focus on newer acts who are not in the press and hopefully through my blog, they will end up on sites like Pitchfork and Stereogum. 


No comments:

Post a Comment