Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Final project proposal

As a topic for my final project I would like to focus on women’s body image. I will bring attention to sexism in advertising and how it affects people’s minds, and how it misrepresents women in different cultures. I will show a lot of examples of such advertising that were made in the USA and Russia, where women play role of sex objects. I would like to present it as a video 5 to 8 minutes long made of slides and may be short videos. 
Jim Edwards who wrote an article "In Russia, Advertising Is Often Very Sexist — And Very Weird" says: “In modern Russian advertising, women have taken on a new role: sex object. Ads being made in modern Russia look like the kind of thing we used to see in the U.S. in the early 1970s — "sexy," but in the most sexist way possible. None of the ads in this gallery would fly in the U.S. this century". He gave a few examples of such Russian ads. There are two on them: first - vodka "Flirt" ad, second says: "Good quality mobile service is very important on business trips". This is the link to this article sexist-russian-advertising-examples.


I think that this problem is common in both, American and Russian cultures. For my research I will use our readings about body images such as Kellner "Reading Images" and Killbourne "Beauty Beast", etc. Also some outside research such as this article about sexism in Russian advertising and others.
I'm thinking may be include a short clip of opinions of different people about these kind of ads (mostly men, I guess). I would like to bring attention to a few aspects: who makes those ad and what they are really selling. 
Is it really necessary to do it this way? How can we change it? I will use some alternative good examples.
I'm open to suggestions and any kind of help or ideas from you, guys!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Elena,
    I think you have planned a great project. It will be very interesting to see your side by side comparison of the female objectification in the USA and Russia. I also think, since you grew up in Russia your self, you could include examples from your personal experiences and examples of your female relatives. I hope this will help.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete