Monday, April 8, 2013

Final Project Proposal - Janis Mahnure


I used to get into arguments all the time about a women’s role in Islam. People have always asked about hijab, but even beyond that – people have said Islam was a sexist religion. People take Quran out of context and place a line out of the Quran as proof that women are lesser than men. So I wanted to write a book explaining logic behind the true definitions of the verses in the Quran.
            I once started the book: scribbled the first paragraph on a piece of paper but always delayed actually writing it. It took too much research and time out of my hands. But now I finally have the opportunity to once and for all write my book. I will definitely have it published because having it on my resume will also look good when I apply for a PhD.
            I plan to write extensively so this book may be about 200 to 300 pages (not 8x11, but more like the size of a non fiction novel 5x6). I might do something creative for the cover or not, I’m not sure yet.

Title: The Anti-Women Religion
Author: M. M. Janis (I want to use my initials, kind of like J.K. Rowling, or J. R. R. Tolkien because I want to give the illusion that the book was not written by a Muslim.)

Summary:
Brief Intro to Women in Islam
Verses from the Quran often misinterpreted & their True Definitions
            Subdivided by Roles in the Household, Social Roles, & Spiritual Status

Research:

The Holy Quran in Todays English by Yahya Emerick
Gender Equity in Islam by Jamal Badawi

No comments:

Post a Comment