Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Identity Parade

I want to try to chart my relatively complex identity using the Media. Basically, mourlikeme.com will be an "Identity Parade". I'll start simple enough by focusing on 4 sections - Origins (Family and Nationality), Dress Up (Style and Politics), A Gender Play (Performance of Gender), and Love Games (Slipping down the Sexuality Scale). For each section, I want to include a personal story, reviews of characters from various media (probably telly shows, films, comics), stock images or personal photographs that help me get the point across, interviews with "similar" persons, thoughts and opinions on related news stories, my celebrity influences, a preliminary treatment for a book/script.

Here's a sloppy outline of section 2: Dress Up 

Personal Story (excerpt) - When I was sixteen, I went out with a group of people from school. I wore a pair of jeans, red Converses and a jumper. On my way outside for a smoke, I was told, “If you want to dress like a boy, you should learn how to fight like one dyke.” If I were calmly assessing the situation, I would have tried to flee but instead I turned to my would be attacker and asked him three questions: 1. What item of clothing screams masculine so loudly that you feel the need to punch me for misrepresenting? 2. Why does my “male clothing” threaten you so much that you feel the need for violence? 3. What about my solitude by a fence suggests that I am homosexual? Obviously he didn't appreciate my interruption. His fist connected with my neck awkwardly and yet his body hit the floor before my knees gave out. My saviour stood there in her short mini skirt, sheer, pink floral blouse and sparkly silver heels, her arms outstretched toward me. Looking up at her I realised that while my clothes made me a target, her clothes taught me that clothes didn't matter. 


Images - Mostly androgynous dressers, but I'd also like to include persons in religious or traditional garb like the niqab, the burqa, the lungi or the kilt. Basically anyone who has their clothing questioned by someone else's politics.



Music - Androgynoel by FDA; I Am A Boy by The Who; Out of the Wardrobe by The Kinks; King for a Day by Green Day; Androgyny by Garbage



Reviews - The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Vince Noir from The Mighty Boosh; Victoria from Victor/Victoria



Influences - Mostly 80s Glam Rock celebrities; not because I want to walk around in a PVC catsuit, but they understood the need to separate clothing from politics.
Tilda SwintonNoel Fielding, Steven Tyler, Freddie Mercury, David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust, Adam Ant, Jenny Shimizu, Grace Jones, ChloĆ« Sevigny, Annie Lennox

No comments:

Post a Comment