Thursday, April 11, 2013

Final Project Proposal - Bethany Si Yue Mong

     Through learning about how men and women are portrayed in media, I noticed that both genders are influenced by gender role physically and mentally. Because media is part of our society, gender role becomes an important element for people to classify themselves. Moreover, gender role becomes part of people’s lives and they are influenced by the media unconsciously. Although a lot of people believe the ideal image of men are masculine and women are feminine, many of them do not fit in either category. As a result, gender role becomes a restriction which prohibits individuals to present their true selves in the society. I believe one of the most influential materials which affect men and women physically and mentally is fashion magazine, because it portrays the ideal images of them.

     In my project, I am going to design a set of clothes for the people who do not fit in either feminine or masculine. In another words, I’m going to design some unisex clothing. I want to make a commercial poster to not only portray a comparison between non feminine female and non masculine male, but I also want the viewers to realize there is a sense of harmony when people wear clothes that truly present who they are. I want the viewers to realize that women who are not feminine do not mean they are not beautiful. Similarly, men not being masculine do not mean they are gay or weak. I hope this poster helps viewers to acknowledge the diversity and understand different people in our society.

     In my commercial poster, I will have one male and one female model. In the poster, the male model looks into a mirror and sees a female model wears the same collection of clothes like he does. I have this idea because I want the viewers to see the harmony while both men and women wear the same kind of clothes. They both look at each other through the mirror, which shows that they are the same. Being feminine is not the priority of women and being masculine is not what only male does.  However, there are differences between the male and female clothes due to their body shape differences. I want the clothes that I design does not either promote femininity or masculinity but femininity and masculinity both blended in together. At the same time, I want to show the differences between male and female’s bodies so women will not “look” masculine, and men will not look “gay.”
-------------------------------
The first two pictures are the fashion templates that I’m going to use in my project. Also, the third picture shows a shoe which is worn by Louis XIV. The history of how men back then wore clothes inspired me to design a set of unisex clothings.





5 comments:

  1. Your project sounds unique. I would love to see this idea in the real world. Many people could benefit from unisex clothing that has style and maintains their gender identity. Perhaps you could even ask a fashion designer to create a prototype out of clothing material or something to bring to class. Looking forward to seeing you present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with Bruce that your project seems very unique. I think that this is a necessary market that is not currently being fulfilled by mainstream fashion houses. One can argue that fashion eras such as 90's grunge brought about unisex fashion, but in reality everyone was just wearing different colored flannel shirts and corduroy pants. If you are able to present your idea in a way that would encompass functional style and a unisex aesthetic, I think that your project will be very strong. I might try to come up with a mock business model, as if you were showing your collection to buyers so that they would sell your clothes at their stores. I would gather fabric swatches, inspiration from different magazines (if you find anything inspirational in there, anyway), a business name, and a specific demographic that you would be looking to sell to. For example, i think that you should aim your sales towards young adults, ages 18-26, who are perhaps students or young professionals. Taking your chosen demographic into consideration, you will have a better idea of which stores to pitch to and what kind of fabric to use in production. I think that if you flesh out your ideas a bit, your project will be very, very solid and engaging. I am really excited to see what you create for your presentation!

    ReplyDelete