Sunday, February 3, 2013

Who Am I? - Michelle Lee

Like many other American Born Chinese, I can easily be defined to others as an "ABC." And quite honestly, there have been moments in my childhood where I have fallen prey to downgrading who I am to a measly 3 letters. I have come to realize that I am so much more. I am a musician. I am a baker, a cook...a Godiva Chocolatier (and no...I did not go to chocolate school). Growing up with television shows like The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and The Nanny, the sight of an Asian actress/actor in American media was/is rare. To prove this, how many of you reading this right now can name at least 7 Asian female celebrities off the top of your head? And I presume that Lucy Liu will be within the first three people that you name. See my point?

So...who am I? I am an Asian American woman who is motivated to be comfortable as simply me. I want to make it a rarity for people to be shocked to find out I am fully Asian after hearing me speak perfect English through the phone. I want to make terms like "ABC" and "FOB" obsolete. I want to be seen as an equal in this country that I call home and what better way to do it than starting with what may be the most influential part of our society: the media!


No comments:

Post a Comment