Friday, February 8, 2013

Who I am


Growing up, I struggled a lot with feeling culturally displaced. I didn’t have anyone except my older sister to relate to. I went to school in a small town in upstate New York which consisted of mostly white people with blonde hair. And there I was a skinny little Indian girl with big glasses, bushy eyebrows, and crazy curly hair. I didn’t even realize my parents had accents until one of my friends said something about it. I was different. My family was different. As a kid I would watch television and tune into award shows to see the stars and while I was fascinated, I still felt like I had no one to relate to.  None of the women on magazines or on TV looked like me.

Who am I? I don’t know if it’s as simple as me just typing up a two paragraph summary. I’ll do my best though I’m a first generation American, a daughter, a little sister, a singer/songwriter, a pianist, an actress, an artist, I’m diabetic, I’m a fighter, I’m smart and I’m a smartass, witty, thoughtful, a full-time college student and a part-time sales/retail queen.  I’ve worked at Aldo on 5th avenue and right now BCBG Max Azria http://www.bcbg.com/.  I’m the black sheep wild child with piercings and tattoos who did not have any desire to follow in my entire family’s footsteps and go to medical school. I have always loved performing, art, music, entertainment and fashion. I think the world and the cold hearted people in it are way too serious way too often. I like being silly and being around silly people. If you can make me laugh, you’re a friend of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment