Friday, February 8, 2013

Who do you think you are?



I am a traveler

I travel to meet new people and I want to know their story – however important or seemingly insignificant they think it may be. People fascinate me – from their different backgrounds to their accents to their choice in music. I also have a particular interest in the culture of tattoos. I have tattoos that mean a lot to me, so I always want to know the story behind a person’s tattoo. Traveling for me also entails trying new food all the time! I’ve only visited a few other countries outside of the U.S. with the most recent being Canada, but I have come to a general conclusion that food always brings people together! Although I would prefer to explore foreign countries, I enjoy venturing into parts of New York City that I’ve never been to. It absolutely freakin’ excites me that there will always be somewhere new for me to travel to and I never know who I will meet and what I can learn from their stories. This is why I am also a big fan of social media. While I don’t immerse myself in any one social network like Facebook or Twitter, I like to download these apps and spend some time learning how to make the most of these kinds of networks. It amazes me that I can become friends with someone halfway across the world from my tiny little iPhone or that one can “follow” the daily musings of a celebrity with the click of a mouse. 

Goal: I want to be a news reporter featuring human interest stories around the world. 

I come from a family who considers becoming a doctor or lawyer the only realistic profession to pursue in this kind of economy. I’ll explain to them what exactly I want to do and it fuels their negativity and they always tell me I’ll never make it in the cut-throat media world especially “since I’m a woman.” I’m beginning to network and I’m always forewarned if I don’t master the “American accent,” I’ll never get the job as a news reporter. So much negativity, but what my family fails to remember is that I want this. I’m a stubborn Taurus and I will always work to get what I want. 

The news world just isn’t ready for me yet. 
Dream big, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment