Friday, February 8, 2013

Who do I think I am?

Hello,

 I am Miguel Alfau

Who I am differs in the eyes of different people. In the case of who I personally think I am, I would start by saying that I was born here in New York and have lived here ever since.  My father came to New York when he was just 16 years of age, from the Dominican Republic. My mother is from Venezuela and she moved here when she met my father and married.  I feel very lucky to have been born in this city as it is just jam-packed with inspiration.  I feel it is duty to become successful in life, so as to not only give my parents more to be proud of, but also to bring happiness for myself.

I think of myself in a sort of complex manner. I tend to overthink a lot.  I view myself as two different parts of a whole, being my mind and my body.  This is because of moments in which what I am thinking or what I desire doesn't really translate equally.  For example I am notably skinny and have been ever since a child, yet some people annoyingly view this as a weakness sometimes.  I consider myself a pretty creative person.  I am very ambitious in terms of where I want to be and what I want to achieve, yet my overthinking has hindered me from starting any real progress. This is because well I have simply been unsure of what career path to pursue through my studies.

While I have not officially chosen a major to pursue, I am thinking of choosing in-between a film, English, or creative writing major.  My biggest passion is writing.  I love writing as I feel I am able to express myself very efficiently and creatively through such an art.  The reason I'm choosing to take media classes at hunter is because I feel the media is quite an important aspect of everyday life.  We all see and are affected by it.  I also like the open-mindedness that comes as a result of taking a course that discusses female status and issues in our society.  I want to be more open minded so as to help me improve my writing and because I'm also hoping on creating films based on my writing in order to appeal and present my work to a greater audience.  I spent countless of hours on the internet, where I view all kinds of media, such as news, videos, etc.

I love movies as much as writing, if not more.  My favorite genre is comedy, but I watch all kinds of movies. I love comedy and I consider myself quite funny and ridiculous (outside of class though as I tend to control myself and remain quite serious).  Having a sense of humor is a virtue in life and I consider laughter to be the best medicine for all problems. What I like of the idea of being a writer and director is that I can incorporate all kinds of things that I like, such as comedy, sociology, psychology, and just all kinds of topics that can play with human emotions.  I also very much like fashion and can spend countless of hours going to clothing stores, many times not even shopping and just looking at all the different styles. That is another reason why I love this city, as I can walk around the city and just see all kinds of people with different clothing styles walking around.

interesting interview of comedian Dave Chappelle and his thoughts on being in the entertainment industry. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84NjYRTHpfU

No comments:

Post a Comment