Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Male Gaze, & its complications.


To the man who looked at my ass / To the man who didn’t look at my ass
You had to know I had feelings / Maybe I needed your gaze
This body is not respected or cherished / I am human, and your inability to see me as such hurts
You’ve given me just another reason to hate this body
I’m worth more than the stares I receive
- Safiya Washington & Kai Davis



According to John Berger in his work entitled “Ways of Seeing,” for centuries now, art in the form of female objectification is modeled after the surveyor, the spectator, who is male by default. It is called “the male gaze” – here’s me, looking at you, looking at me. And by me, of course, I mean powerful man with abundant levels of testosterone and desires just waiting to be sated. And now here’s looking at YOU, beautiful [young] woman, full of [sexually explicit] promise and [nonexistent, this is MY show] expectation. Simply flipping through television channels and magazine pages, it is easy to pick up on this notion that media centers around the male spectator.
In a particular incidence about a year ago, I remember mindlessly surfing the web and coming across a music video for Hip Hop / R&B celebrity Drake. The song was “Practice” – a sensuous ode to the singer’s prospective sexual partner, who seems to arduously prepare herself for this encounter – and the video left me quite speechless. The artistic endeavor consisted of a well-endowed young woman, strutting and working it in front of a mirror – evidently “practicing” – to the sultry tunes of Drake, her apparent lover … for the entirety of the piece. In an attempt to find criticism of the work, I was bemused at the lack thereof; however, one review pretty much summed it up: “This is the most heterosexual video made for men containing a song made for women ever made” (Kenny, Rapdose.com). As noted, this video was made purely for the male gaze.

This is merely a more illustrious and explicit form of the male gaze penetrating our media culture. But when I watched this video, I not only criticized the male distributors/viewers, I also questioned the model in the video – what attracted her to do this? What does she believe she had to gain from this experience (besides money, minimal [pseudo?] fame, and a few moments with the celebrity)? In the above spoken word piece by Safiya Washington and Kai Davis, the young women perform the two sides of the female as surveyed coin – the dichotomy of what Bell Hooks coined, the oppositional gaze. 
On the one hand, the woman feels vulnerable to the stares from men and frustrated by their lack of understanding. On the other, the woman feels ignored and ashamed of her incompetence to attract the attention the aforementioned woman so keenly wishes to avoid. The oppositional gaze is a challenge to the male gaze; women viewing themselves beyond the eyes of men and deconstructing these overtly sexual images construed by the media. However, although the male gaze may breed frustration and combative notions, it also breeds insecurity and a false sense of self. To think that a woman such as the one in the video feels like they need to expose themselves like that - thrashing “dat ass” around for attention and validation - is heartbreaking. Although not as severe, I myself am well acquainted with both sides of this coin: the “just let me be” side, and the “why won’t you look at me?” side. Ultimately, as the poem says, for myself and for the women in the media: I am worth more than the stares I receive.

On a lighter note, I’ve enjoyed my recent discovery of the reversal of the male gaze and just how ridiculous it can be in retrospect. I feel I am lucky to recognize just how compromising much of today’s media’s portrayal of women is. Personally, I intend to fight these notions of passivity, naivete, and objectification. It’s nice to see I’m in good company.



Nailed It



Here's Lookin' at You Guys


No comments:

Post a Comment